Friday, August 17, 2012

25 life lessons-



I 'STUMBLED UPON' THIS POST AT 'POSITIVELY POSITIVE'
AND I  LOVED IT SO MUCH,  I JUST HAD TO SHARE IT... 

It begins...
When I qualified as a Doctor at twenty-six years old, I thought I knew everything there was to know about health and medicine. By the age of thirty, I realized my medical training was limited and I didn’t really know much about health and wellness. So I went on a journey of discovery to expand my horizons and studied acupuncture, Chinese medicine, Functional medicine, nutrition, yoga, and Buddhism. By fifty, I realized my life training was limited too, as my daughter (a teenager at the time) was pointing out “how stupid” I was. And now that I am fifty-seven, I realize I have amassed a lot of knowledge but have so much more to learn.
As I get older and hopefully wiser with every year, certain insights become clearer. Here are some of them gleaned from the wisdom I have gained from thirty-two years of marriage to my beautiful wife, Janice; having a wonderful twenty-four-year-old daughter, Alison; and thirty-two years of practicing medicine and being a perpetual student of life.

More Real Food, Less Food-like Substances
More Fruit and Vegetables, Less Sugar, Gluten and Dairy
More Plant Foods, Less Animal Products
More Organic, Less Chemicals
More Clean Products, Less Toxic Products
More Chewing, Less Eating
More Water, Less Alcohol
More Walking, Less Driving
More Exercising, Less Sitting at the Computer
More Music, Less Noise
More Recycling, Less Waste
More Outdoors, Less Indoors
More Meditation, Less Worry
More Slow, Less Hurry
More Smiles, Less Anger
More Love, Less Hatred
More Fun, Less Serious
More Letting Go, Less Holding On
More Being, Less Doing
More Presence, Less Absence
More Generosity, Less Greed
More Forgiving, Less Blaming
More Inclusion, Less Exclusion
More Health Care, Less Disease Care
More Ubuntu, Less Me

Ubuntu is about the essence of being human, it is part of the gift that Africa will give the world. It embraces hospitality, caring about others, being able to go the extra mile for the sake of others. We believe that a person is a person through another person, that my humanity is caught up, bound up, inextricably, with yours. When I dehumanize you, I inexorably dehumanize myself. The solitary human being is a contradiction in terms. And therefore you seek to work for the common good because your humanity comes into its own in belonging.”


No comments:

Post a Comment